Imagine a life without joints! How hard it will be to walk and move? In fact you may have seen people with joint pains going through such a situation, where they are not able to walk and do their work. Life becomes extremely tough in such circumstances. But you are not the only one who is suffering from this problem, there 43 million others who are having the same problem.
The most common type of joint pain is the pain in the knee joints. People having this problem find it hard to bend their knees which affect their daily routine and quality of life. Second most common type of joint pain is the pain in the shoulder joints.
The connection between the bones is called joints. Their function is to support locomotion. When some damage takes place in these joints due to an injury or a medical condition, their movement becomes painful.
Joint pains can occur because of the conditions like, gout, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis, sprains, strains and injuries.
What makes the joints hurt? Our joints are surrounded by a layer of tissues known as cartilage; these tissues provide a cushion for the joints and support their movement with the least amount of friction. If these tissues get damaged the bones of the joint get rubbed against each other resulting in stiffness, swelling and discomfort.
Whatever the cause may be, we have some tips for you to follow to get rid of the joint pain:
- Joint pain usually occurs because of the degenerative diseases; this is the reason why adults are more likely to have joint pain. Obese people are more prone to develop the condition of joint pain. In order to prevent joint pain in the long run stay within the range of your body’s ideal weight. By maintaining your recommended weight you will be able to reduce the stress on your joints.
- Also take all the essential nutrients required by your body, by taking a balanced diet. Avoid such activities which are likely to damage your joint tissues and cause strain.
- Usually when people suffer from joint pains they also develop inflammation, which can slow down the healing process. You can get rid of the swelling by applying ice on your joints. It will also ease out the pain. Just wrap some ice in a clean piece of cloth and massage it on your joints for 15 minutes.
- Just like icing can help, heat is also beneficial for healing the joints. There are different ways by which you can provide heat to your joints. You can wrap heating pads around your joints or you can slip into a warm shower, this will relax the muscles and tissues surrounding your joints. If possible, you can sit in a bathtub filled with warm water for a long time. Sauna is equally effective for easing out the pain.
- You can also get rid of the joint pains by massaging it with hot oil. Just massage hot olive oil on the affected joint and wrap it with a heat pad. The warmth will soothe the damaged tissues and will also relieve pain.
- Sometimes over the counter drugs can also work to ease out the pain. You can try aspirin to get rid of the pain.
- Do you know that smoking can also cause hindrance in soothing the joint pain? So if you have joint pain quit smoking.
- As mentioned earlier, joint pain may occur as a result of osteoarthritis. This is a condition which is caused when the levels of vitamin D are low in the body. You can either increase your vitamin D levels by getting sun exposure or by taking vitamin D3 supplements.
- Sulfur deficiency in the body can also cause a number of problems in the joints, it can even cause arthritis. By taking sulfur-rich diet you can get rid of the problem. Include poultry and beef in your diet, preferably organic or grass-fed.
- Soak your joints in magnesium sulfate to get rid of the joint pain. For that take ¼ cup of Epsom salt and add to a tub of hot water, sit in this water for half an hour, make sure all your troubled joints get soaked properly. Try this remedy two times a week to reap maximum benefits.
- You may have seen a thin membrane inside the egg shells. This membrane contains two types of protein elastin and collagen; both these proteins promote cartilage health by strengthening them and improving their elasticity. There are certain supplements available in the market, containing egg shell membranes.
- Turmeric contains a powerful component called curcumin. According to a research published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, the use of turmeric extracts can relieve osteoarthritis pain. Curcumin is known for its anti-inflammatory properties which can help you get rid of the problem.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are also very beneficial for reducing inflammation; you can get these fatty acids from krill oil.
If your condition does not improve even after following these remedies, consult your doctor.