From Minnie Mouse to Ariel the Mermaid, one thing they all have in common is their thick long eyelashes. Even the cartoonists believe that long eyelashes enhance the beauty of the females. Long lashes not just hold importance in the Toon world, they are considered as the symbol of beauty in the women of the real world too.
Women could do anything to get thick and long eyelashes. The day starts with shaping up the eyelashes with the help of an eyelash curler and then a coat of mascara is applied to make them look thick and long. For the special occasions even these two devices are not enough and false eyelashes are required.
For women who want to look beautiful 24/7 there are some other options available such as eyelash extensions and eyelash enhancing formulas. Are these things effective and are they safe for human use? We will tell you what the experts have to say about it. But first we will tell you about how you should take care of your eyelashes.
Our eyelashes are not just there for enhancing our beauty but also they protect our eyes from dust and other harmful particles in the surrounding. To make them long and thick and to protect them, just follow the doctor’s advice:
- Don’t be too harsh on your eyelashes. Do not rub your eyes frequently because the roots of the lashes are very delicate and rubbing can cause the lashes to break. Also do not pull your eyelashes.
- When using an eyelash curler keep it away from your eyelid and only grip the eyelash, not the skin. Also the frequent use of eyelash curler can make the roots of the lashes weak and cause them to break.
- Always remove your eye makeup before going to bed, especially the mascara. Mascara can stiffen the eyelashes and cause them to break. Just use a mild makeup remover and pat it on your lids with a help of a soft cotton pad. Do not rub your eyes.
- If your mascara gets clumpy comb your eyelash while it is still wet, otherwise the lashes might become stiff and break due to combing.
- To maintain your eye and lash health it is important to change your mascara after every 3 to 6 months. It can help keep your mascara germ free and also prevent eye infections.
- If your eye gets pink because of the use of any makeup product, immediately stop its use.
When a new lash grows it lasts for three months. It takes more than two months for the lash to grow back again completely. Any sort of damage in the follicles can make the eyelash thin, short and fragile. In some extreme cases, if any harm is done to the follicle it stops producing the eyelash.
Just as we condition the hair of our head to protect them against damage similarly we can also protect our eyelash from damage by applying a lash conditioner. Aquaphor and Vaseline are two products that work as a conditioner for your eyelashes. You can also use over-the-counter conditioners specially designed for eyelashes. Eyelash conditioners contain strengthening and moisturizing ingredients, which can prevent them from breaking and also make them look longer.
Eyelash extensions are also becoming very popular among women desiring thick and long lashes and are available on almost every spa menu. Synthetic eyelashes are glued to the upper eyelashes adding more length and volume to your existing lashes. The price ranges from $75 to $300 depending on the volume of the lashes. These lashes are available in the width of 0.10 to 0.30 mm, but the doctors recommend width not more than 0.20 mm. The doctors say if the natural lashes are weak it may cause damage to them. Another drawback of eyelash extension is that some people might develop an allergic reaction to the adhesive used for extensions.
One of the most popular formulae that enjoyed massive fame is Latisse. Hollywood stars like Brooke Shield, Mandy Moore and Jenny McCarthy have also worked on the promotion of this solution. It is a prescription drug and has been found very effective for increasing the length and the volume of the eyelashes. Although there are a large number of satisfied customers, the drug has some side effects such as darkening of the skin of the eyelid, irritation and permanent change in the color of the eye. Also the drug is not safe for the pregnant and nursing women.
Image courtesy: Flickr, Maria Morri